The 2019 NWF/ joanne burns Microlit Award is co-sponsored by Spineless Wonders and Newcastle Writers Festival.
Length: 200 word max.
Closing date: Sept 30 2019
We acquire scars sometimes by accident and sometimes by design. Scars may be evidence of past and ongoing hurt. They can stand witness to our rites of passage or transformation. They may mar or they may make our appearance. They may be invisible.
We are looking for microlit on the theme of SCARS. Your submission may be fiction or creative nonfiction, memoir or speculative. You may choose to write in any prose genre or mode (including prose poetry) – in fact, hybrid forms are encouraged. Your approach may be playful, witty, political, philosophical or all of the above.
The 2019 joanne burns Microlit Award which is co-sponsored by Spineless Wonders and the Newcastle Writers Festival will be judged by CASSANDRA ATHERTON. Cash prizes of $300 will be awarded to the winner of the National and Hunter categories.
Finalists in the award will be offered publication in the Spineless Wonders’ anthology, Scars.
All texts included in the anthology will be considered for inclusion in a range of Spineless Wonders’ multiplatform collaborations including #storybombing activities such as StoryPhones, StoryPosters, StoryPostcards and Pavement Pages as part of the Newcastle Writers Festival, in the University of Technology, Sydney’s, Microflix Animation Project, as part of the Microflix Award and in live performances and podcasts.
Before writing any fictional piece regarding a culture different from your own, make sure you are doing so in a respectful and intelligent manner.
By entering the competition, writers grant Spineless Wonders and the Newcastle Writers Festival limited, fee-free, licence to publish their work and/or produce and broadcast it as audio or video. Intellectual Property shall remain with individual author on the understanding that the work not be published elsewhere until after December, 2020.
Submission Guidelines / Conditions of Entry
- Submissions will only be accepted via the Submittable link.
- Entry fee is $15.00 for up to three submissions per entry. (There is no limit to the number of entries per person.)
- Entrants must be over 18 years of age and must be either an Australian citizen (living anywhere) or a person residing in Australia.
- Entries will be judged anonymously. The author’s name must not appear on the manuscript.
- The judge’s decisions will be final. No correspondence will be entered in to.
- Entries are to be no more than 200 words (exclusive of the title).
- Submissions under consideration by another competition or publication or work that has been previously published or awarded will not be accepted.
- By entering this competition, writers grant Spineless Wonders and the Newcastle Writers Festival limited, fee-free, licence to publish their work and/or produce and broadcast it as audio or video. Intellectual Property shall remain with individual author on the understanding that the work not be published elsewhere until after December, 2020.
- The closing date is 30 September, 2019. Entries will be accepted up until midnight AEST. Late entries will not be accepted.
- Results will be announced by December, 2019.
- Spineless Wonders will offer publication to the winner and finalists in its annual anthology. All published entries, including the winner, may be edited.
For any further inquiries, email info[at]shortaustralianstories.com