Call out for 2021 joanne burns Microlit Award
Theme: PULPED FICTION
Length: 200 word max.
Closing date: Aug 1 2020
Submissions of up to 200 words on the theme of PULPED FICTION are sought for the 2020 NWF/joanne burns Microlit Award.
Cri Fi, Sci Fi, Noir, Rom Com, Lit Fic, Western, Horror, Gothic, Fantasy, Fairytale... In this year’s callout we are looking for submissions which play with genre. Feel free to reshape and manipulate some of the well-worn tropes in literature, film or any cultural product. You can create your own generic blends or experiment with fictionalising non-narrative forms. Your approach may be playful, witty, political, philosophical or all of the above. You may choose to write in any prose genre – in fact, hybrid forms are encouraged.
The 2020 joanne burns Microlit Award which is co-hosted by Spineless Wonders and the Newcastle Writers Festival will be judged by CASSANDRA ATHERTON. Cash prizes of $300 will be awarded to the winner of the National and Hunter categories.
Finalists in the award will be offered publication in the annual Spineless Wonders’ microlit anthology.
All texts included in the anthology will be considered for inclusion in a range of Spineless Wonders’ multiplatform collaborations including #storybombing activities such as StoryPhones, StoryPosters, StoryPostcards and Pavement Pages as part of the Newcastle Writers Festival as well as in our podcast productions and in the Microflix Awards and Festival.
Submission Guidelines / Conditions of Entry
- Submissions will only be accepted via the Submittable link.
- Entry fee is $10.00 for up to three submissions per entry. (There is no limit to the number of entries per person.)
- Entrants must be over 18 years of age and must be either an Australian citizen (living anywhere) or a person residing in Australia.
- Entries will be judged anonymously. The author’s name must not appear on the manuscript.
- The judge’s decisions will be final. No correspondence will be entered in to.
- Entries are to be no more than 200 words (exclusive of the title).
- Submissions under consideration by another competition or publication or work that has been previously published or awarded will not be accepted.
- By entering this competition, writers grant Spineless Wonders and the Newcastle Writers Festival limited, fee-free, licence to publish their work and/or produce and broadcast it as audio or video. Intellectual Property shall remain with individual author on the understanding that the work not be published elsewhere until after December, 2021.
- The closing date is 1 August, 2020. Entries will be accepted up until midnight AEST. Late entries will not be accepted.
- Results will be announced by December, 2020.
- Spineless Wonders will offer publication to the winner and finalists in its annual anthology. All published entries, including the winner, may be edited.
Use of material which may be subject to copyright:
At Spineless Wonders, we value and respect the intellectual property of all authors and artists with which we collaborate. Authors who wish to include the work of other artists in their submissions should undertake due diligence in respect of the copyright of that material. Any material subject to copyright must be acknowledged in the submission and proof of permission to use this material must be provided with your entry. All costs related to the reproduction of copyrighted material are to be borne by the author. For further information, please refer to https://www.artslaw.com.au/
For any further inquiries, email info[at]shortaustralianstories.com